Nearly a month ago, my laptop screen died. Fortunately, this allowed me to easily back up all my data. Unfortunately, as the unit was nearly 3 years old, replacing the screen wasn’t a smart financial move. I might as well buy a new one. Which I did last week. I bought the Aftershock XG17. Here is my review of my new notebook.
Aftershock is a Singaporean company that specializes in custom notebooks based of Clevo units. Most of their rigs are for gamers, which means they come with Nvidia graphic cards, but as you can customize pretty much everything else, one can easily build a Linux friendly unit. Here is the unit I opted for :
- i7-4700MQ Processor (Haswell)
- NVIDIA GEFORCE 765M
- 8GB DDR3L 1600MHZ (1×8)
- Display : 17.3 Inch Full HD Matte LED display (1920 x1080)
- Samsung MSATA SSD 128GB
- Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 7200 RPM
- Intel 7260 AC Wifi + BT
What I like about this unit :
- The Screen is gorgeous.
- The keyboard is much better than I expected.
- The OS starts in a snap and is very responsive.
- The connectivity is great. No more weak wifi signal.
- The look and feel of the unit is sturdy and well finished.
What could be better
- The trackpad is not big enough for the size of the screen
- The speakers are really crap. Luckily a good pair of earphones will do the trick
- A small “shutter” sound can be heard from under the keyboard from time to time. While I’m not worried yet (my guess is it’s the left optical drive looking for a CD), I’ll stay alert should it becomes more frequent.
All in all, I’m very happy with my new computer. It handles superbly everything I throw at it and I really enjoy having a big matte screen to work on. While I’ll need to keep an ear out for the shutter sound, Aftershocks’ staff responsiveness and general vibe make me feel like they’ll be able to sort things out in a friendly and efficient manner if it takes a wrong turn. They’ve exceeded my expectations at every turn. Always friendly, knowledgeable and with good advices. Kudos to them.
I look forward to using this unit for the next 3 years !